St. Mary’s Student Center first opened in 1937 as the campus dining hall. When the current Commons opened in 1959, St Mary’s was re-outfitted as a student center, relieving Howard Hall of Student Government offices. Today, in addition to a large lounge used for study and informal meetings, the building houses the Offices of Student Activities and of Student Government, with offices for The Beacon (the student newspaper); The Log (yearbook); Associated Students of the University of Portland (ASUP); and the Moreau Center for Service and Justice.

Fun Facts

  • From 1965-1985 St. Mary’s had a dual use as Student-Union by (week)day, and University Chapel over the weekend.
  • In 1969, electronic speakers in the building cupola allowed a 25-bell carillon to sound from the chapel tower across the campus.