On November 30, 1958, the first University of Portland library building was dedicated after years in Christie Hall’s leaky basement. In 1978, the library was expanded to twice its original size. The most recent renovation in 2013 greatly increased technology and study space resources for students. From the days of card catalogs, windowless carrels, and poorly ventilated smoking lounges to today’s sleek study rooms and shelving that moves with the push of a button, the Clark Library is always evolving to support and inspire academic research and study on our campus.

Fun Fact

  • The Sedes Sapientia bas-relief lead sculpture depicting Madonna and Child on the façade to the left of the entrance is six feet high, Frederic Littman, artist